Friday, March 14, 2008

Help!! I need confidence boost!!!

Well at work they just posted an IT helpdesk position. Now you all know that I want to be in IT, sooo bad. I have been in a rut for going on 2 years now. I am bored. I tell my boss about it all the time. He gives me other jobs to do during the day to break it up.
I love my boss for doing this for me. But on the posting they said that only the best will get an interview. Now I first have to show off my skills. But I just don't have all of the ones they are looking for.

This is what I would be doing.

· Build and install new computer systems
· Maintain multiple computer images
· Troubleshoot and repair workstation hardware and software.
· Troubleshoot and repair general network connectivity.
· Level 1 Active Directory Administration
· Level 1 Microsoft Exchange AdministrationLevel 1 Telecom and Voicemail Administration



Of those things the stuff in orange is stuff I don't necessarly know. But I AM WILLING TO LEARN.

These are the qualifications they need

· One year of desktop PC, server and infrastructure hardware experience ( Does college count as experience as well I did some contract work with my husband's company)
· Windows NT/2000/XP use and professional troubleshooting experience
· Core MS office application experience (Office, Project, Visio etc)
· Demonstrated ability to rapidly adapt to changing situations and an ability to dynamically reprioritize workload accordingly
· Analytical thinking
· Attention to detail
· Proven problem solving skills (I don't know if it can be "Proven")
· Excellent customer facing skills
· Technical research ability ( I think I can find out the information. At least I know where I can find it)
· Ability to work effectively as a member of the team
· Some physical requirements such as lifting, moving, working under desks doing wiring etc.
· Ability to work a changing schedule as business requires it.
· Technical product & configuration knowledge
· Experience with desktop imaging solutions such as Symantec Ghost (I worked with this breifly in highschool)
· Experience with HP Openview HelpDesk system (Never worked with this in my life)
· Telecommunications experience
· Network experience including TCP/IP

So I guess I am asking for confidence here. Should I go for it? Or should I find something else?

2 comments:

3HappyHippies said...

If its something you think you can do and that you want; also that its a step up from what you're currently doing I would say go for it. You will figure those things out soon enough.

Kitty said...

Well I applied for the position on Thursday this last week. So we will find out.